Different liars

---------

From: Paulette Keck (tcsfp_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2001 - 17:46:38 PST

"Fortunately for the teacher, the superintendent happened to be in the
building that day, so the issue was resolved when the principal took the form to the super."

Hey, I have a different situation that's just plain weird. Instead of my principal being the liar, its someone in the superintendent's office. In my district, (NYC, District 3), our school was given @$37,000 to spend on all the arts programming etc. through special funding. I was told to order $6,000 worth of supplies etc. for the visual art program (K-5, 900 students) in October, which I had to do in a period of 4 days or we would "lose" the money. Orders were made, including shelves etc. because we had basically nothing.

So far I have received @ $500 of those supplies. Last week, the remainder of our purchase orders were returned to us and we were told that the money was no longer in our budget, but would be resubmitted in July on next year's budget. No explanation was given. Since then, I have been doing all sorts of investigations and have come up with nothing binding. I have however, been letting my classes know that they will continue to be using the manila paper and old construction paper as their main supplies. I have also gotten in touch with parents and a parent group that wants to start a letter writing campaign.

When people from our school went to the district budget meeting and asked where the money went, the district denied that they ever cut it. They said that the money is there and that they had no idea what we were talking about. We are re-submitting the orders, but at this point, I'll believe it when I see it. This is not the only instance when the district has given us more than one story on any given subject. Makes you think there's something less than honest going on, huh?

Paulette