Re: Journaling & Sketchbooks for Elementary age???????

---------

From: menichino (menichino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2001 - 15:22:31 PST

I've had our 3rd graders build their own sketchbooks from manila folders filled with 30 sheets of paper, graph paper (for doodling), a creativity exercise, info on artists. We keep them in the room for them till 5th grade. Names are written on the spine so they're visible as they are stacked in a box. I have them take notes about lesson info -- especially when introducing a unit, and do some thumbnail sketches for planning. They're also great for when they have free time at the end of a lesson. 4th graders try their hand at calligraphy by writing on the back cover "An Artist Is..." and writing their thoughts about that. So far I'm pleased with the way they've worked out.
Liz in rural NY