Re: Journaling & Sketchbooks for Elementary age???????

---------

From: Cecilia Gollan (GollanC_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2001 - 11:58:07 PST

I teach middle school and require each student to have a sketch book. I make them do weekly drawing assignments in 6 and 7 that I give them. In 8th grade they have a your choice drawing due weekly. I give grade them based on 20 points. It works pretty well. I have a high turn in rate. I give the assignments at the beginning of the semester. This seems to help. Also, sketchbook are great for taking notes or Journaling or doing thumbnails in class. It saves you paper.

>>> <TPOODLE40@aol.com> 03/29 2:50 PM >>>
Hi,
I'm always looking for new ideas and suggestions. My question is--Do any of
you
use journaling and/or sketchbooks with elementary age children?

I've made simple 10 page sketchbooks in the past and the students would use
them to sketch in when we'd go outdoors. I haven't done it this year.
Atleast not yet. I was actually thinking about having sketchbooks added to
the list of supplies 4th & 5th grade teachers give out at the beginning of
the year. I'm not sure what kind of response I'd get from parents. Any
suggestions? Thanks for your help in advance.