RE: journaling in sketchbooks

---------

From: Lea, Robin (rlea_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2001 - 05:41:19 PST

Hey gang, I've had a very eventful week. I asked my 8th grade students to
not only sketch their ideas in their sketchbooks but to actually write in
them. I thought that I was going to have a revolt. Our project that we
were starting was a memory box, using Joseph Cornell as an example. I asked
the students to write a memory, (imagine that). Anyway, I guess what I'm
asking is for input about writing/journaling in the art classroom. What
types of writings do you ask you kids to do, how long are they, how do you
get them to do the writing, and how do you grade it? I could tell by their
writing, (which was poor), that I'm going to make this part of my curriculum
next year.
Thanks Robin

---