re : Oil Pastels and the Impressionists

---------

From: dennycat (dennycat_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2001 - 01:26:39 PST

>Was wondering if ya'll could toss any oil pastel lessons my way. I have
>junior
>high students. We're probably going in a field trip to an exhibition of
>French
>Impressionist Landscapes Next month. Any thoughts on tying this in with oil
>pastel (or other media)
Oil Pastel is a great intro to the Impressionists. I have done this with
grade 4 up to grade 7 and have had great success. It is also easy to get
slides, videos and reproductions of their work. The kids love it because
the work is easily recognizeable as fine art by all yet is fairly easy to
do as well( compared to other movements). With younger kids I let them
copy reproductions on small 6x8 cartridge paper and with older kids they
used 11x14 cartridge and they had the choice of copying a reproduction or
doing a photo of a landscape picture from old calendars I keep about.
Most of the older kids selected a calendar picture but the weaker artists
stuck to the reproductions as they were a safer bet for them. I stressed
that no stroke could be over 1cm long and that I should not be able to
see any of the paper show through. While they were sketching in the basic
forms I went around to each group of 6 with samples of student work from
previous years and did mini demos for them on technique. While I have to
repeat this 4 or 5 times I find this more successful than trying to tell
the entire class at one time. First of all they all get a good view and I
am 'in their face' so they must pay attention, saves my repeating it all
100 times over the next three weeks. Good luck. Catharine in Hong Kong

---