Re: Primary ecology lessons`

---------

From: pgstephens (pgstephens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 28 2001 - 19:22:04 PST

Liz:

We recently studied galimotos, saw the Reading Rainbow video, and then
collected recycled materials for a week to make our own toys. Not only
did the 2nd graders investigate the art of self-trained artists, they
were able to see the value in using throw away materials to create fun
toys. Plus, by collecting throw always for a week, they were made aware
of the need to recycle.

This is too advanced for first, but in fourth grade, we are concluding a
two-month unit of the environmental architecture of Hundertwasser. The
kids learned all about his ideas and then identified buildings that
visually pollute our eyes and physically pollute our world. Their
assignment was to redesign a building to make it ecologically sound and
more attractive to view. They have completely constructed a 3D
ecological art city (93 buildings total) and each child has made a
pop-up page of an art building that tells a little about the concepts
embraced by Hundertwasser.

From Texas,
Pam

menichino wrote:

> Hi all you helpful people,
> Does anyone have any ideas for lessons related to ecology for first graders?

---