Miami hotel

---------

From: One of the Colmans (colmans1_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 27 2001 - 18:06:40 PST

Hi everyone,
Here is a copy of an e-mail that I sent to NAEA regarding the
situation with the Hilton in Miami. At least now we don't have to pay
1 night right away. When I receive a response from NAEA, I will post
it.

Having just returned from a wonderful experience in NY at the NAEA
convention, I made my reservation for the convention hotel in Miami at
the first possible opportunity, which was yesterday. I was very
surprised and outraged to learn that the Fontainbleau Hilton is
requesting one night's deposit on the hotel room upon making a
reservation for the 2002 convention. The manager of reservations told
me that this is part of the contract that NAEA negotiated with the
Hilton Sales Dept. I find it hard to believe that NAEA would agree to
a contract like that, knowing full well that most of us pay hotel
expenses out of our own pockets. Being able to attend the convention
is a real financial reach for the majority of us. We are not in the
business world where companies are paying all the expenses. After
discussing this with the manager, I asked her to look into it. She
just phoned me back and told me that they will not ask for the first
night now (out of courtesy to NAEA), but instead will abide by their
normal policy of 1 night due 45 days before the arrival date. This is
certainly more reasonable, but I still feel we should not have to pay
anything until we actually check out. I would appreciate NAEA
negotiating with Hilton to provide a more fair and financially
acceptable situation for us.
Thank you,
Marian Colman
Mashpee High School