Re: What would you do?

---------

From: artappeal (artappeal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 27 2001 - 15:24:35 PST

Judi wrote (snippets),

. . .I don't make that much money-but have always said that I am lucky that
my husband can support us and I love what I do. . . receive a 4/5ths
contract but that I would be receiving a $3500.00 paycut. They needed to
hire the elementary Art teacher full time and they had to cut the budget
somewhere. . . I am angry and resentful BUT do love teaching Photography. .
. What would you do??

Dear Judi,

This is a tough one, but I, personally, would continue to feel angry and
resentful, and therefore the job would become burdensome. I couldn't help
but feel that they were taking advantage of me, getting something for
nothing. Doesn't seniority, and a record of great service count for
anything? Regardless of whether you "need" the money or not, your
experience and training is worth more respect than they seem to be giving
you. Now, this is from someone who works with a fair union contract, so how
they are treating you is unfathomable for me. It just seems unprofessional.
Could you teach private lessons in your small town?

Leah

---