Easy Set for 1st grade play

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 27 2001 - 13:27:42 PST

Weve talked several times about creating sets for plays; I thought you
might enjoy this project.

The first grade GT kids are putting on a play about the magic of books to
carry you away. We finished the first groups set decorations today. We took
a roll of white paper, cut it to the large size we wanted, and folded it in
half. After looking through different books and talking about the
illustrators, the groups drew a large picture on the white paper and cut it
out around the outline. Now they had two Identical cut outs. Next an adult
made sure that they had the front side front up and the back side up. Then
the children painted in their pictures with liquid tempera paint. The
pieces were then allowed to dry. On their second visit each group was paired
with an adult. The adult supervised stapling the front and back together,
and then they stuffed the soft sculptures. These pieces will be hung from
the I beams in the cafeteria. In the play (which takes place on a magic
carpet), they will be clouds (Looks Like Spilt Milk was the inspiration).

The second group will also do large pictures inspired by illustrations and
cut them out. These will be glued or stapled to backdrop paper to create the
background.

Im uploading the pictures as I write this and will post the URL later
tonight..

Kimberly Herbert ( kimberly@wcc.net <mailto:kimberly@wcc.net> )
CAM Administrator