RE: HELP!-(webmasters)

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 27 2001 - 11:56:30 PST

Regarding images
There is a way to block out were an image is going to be, and insert text
that can be viewed while the page loads. That way someone in a hurry can
move on and quicker loading items are available. This also makes your site
ADA complient because people using programs that read the page to them can
access the material.

Make sure that your picture files are no bigger than needed for the webpage.
Just changing the physical size of the photograph doesn't change the file
size (especially if you change it in a desktop publishing program). The way
I explain it to my co-workers is if you were hanging a piece of art but it
was too heavy for the wall, just using an optical illusion to reduce the
size will still collapse the wall. You have to reduce the real weight by
reducing the file size. Many programs like PSP 7.0 will let you use a wizard
to optimize for the web.

Kimberly Herbert (kimberly@wcc.net)
CAM Administrator