Re: Monet's Garden

---------

From: Donald Peters (softsnow_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 27 2001 - 18:00:30 PST

Meant to send this to the list, but ended up sending it privately! Oops!
Here it is again for those who were asking:

Monet is one of my favorite artists, so I do a big unit on him every year
and try to build on my lessons. For background I have "Linnea in Monet's
Garden" in book and video form (both have their pros and cons),"A Walk In
Monet's Garden" pop up book, "Monet: A Retrospective" and new for this
year: "The Impressionists" from the Masters of Art series.

NOTE: I had the library order three of the Masters of Art books for me
this year: "The Impressionists","Leonardo DaVinci" and "The Story of
Sculpture" I am very impressed with these books. They are set up much like
the Eyewitness books and have lots of good information on the artists,
artworks AND history and culture of the time periods. The only thing that
concerns me is they have a lot of the nude artworks. I hope our principal
won't censor them, but I wouldn't put it past him.

One thing in the Masters of Art book I was excited to get is it has 18
examples of Monet's paintings of the Rouen Cathedral. I have been trying
to explain to my students for year's about Monet's paintings of the same
subject, but to now have 18 paintings of the same place on two pages will
hopefully really help.

The installation is put up with masking tape and so far (knock on wood) it
is staying up. Mostly, I think, because everything is torn into long thin
strips and then taped up, so there is a LOT of masking tape on these walls.
The trees will probably go up today, and I hope the bridge will go up
tomorrow to finish it off. I'll post more pictures when it is completed.

Donald Peters

P.S. I've added MORE pictures. http://www.myartroom.homestead.com/monet.html
but it's starting to get torn up by students (not third grade who put all
the work into it) It's really sad that students don't have more respect for
others artwork and effort.