Re: Jackson Pollock Movie

---------

From: Susan Holland (Susan_Holland_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 26 2001 - 18:24:43 PST

I went to that movie and I didn't really like it. Part of the problem was I
knew how it was going to end- no surprise twist or suspense there! I found
myself waiting for the big tragedy and was just really glad when it was over!

I was fascinated with how the movie portrayed Lee Krasner. I had always felt
kinda bad for her because Jackson Pollock was such a bad egg, but according to
this movie, she knew what a drunk he was before she ever got involved with him,
and she pretty much signed up to be his care taker and put up with all his
nonsense. Nothing that her character did made any sense to me, and that kept
me frustrated for the whole movie.

Various characters spout off superficial art interpretation and tell the
audience art historical information. I guess they had to include that because
most viewers need the info- it just didn't seem to flow like normal dialog
people would actually be saying. And my last gripe is that it was jarring
every time Val Kilmer showed up on screen as De Kooning.

Susan Holland
Visual Art Studies
University of Texas at Austin
susan_holland@teachnet.edb.utexas.edu