Jackson Pollock Movie

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon Mar 26 2001 - 16:40:21 PST

In a message dated 03/26/2001 5:34:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jdnag@elknet.net writes:

> Did you also notice that "Pollock" got the award for Best Supporting
> Actress?? Has anyone seen this movie yet? Supposedly making this movie
> was Ed Harris' life's dream.

I saw the movie this past week-end and would like to hear the reaction from
others who have also seen it. It's definately worth seeing. I thought the
acting was wonderful. What a pathetic tragic hero Pollock was! I have tried
and tried to become emotionally involved with his art, seeing his special
exhibit at The MoMA a couple of years ago, reading up on him. Intellectually
I understand why he is considered one of the most important painters of
"modern, abstract" art. However, I honestly don't like his art, infact, it
totally turns me off. The movie just confirmed what I thought all along; he
was looking for a "gimmick" to sell his art and to appeal to and appease the
art critics of his time. Lee Krasner was a great artist in her own right
and, (the movie substantiated this), Pollock would have never acheived what
he did without her.

Interestingly, while in Venice last summer at the Peggy Guggenheim House
which is now a wonderful museum, I fell in love wth a magnificent painting.
It was just breathtaking! If I had to catergorize it I would say
Kandinsky-like. Well, you guessed it- a genuine Jackson Pollack- pre- Jack
the Dripper! I thought to myself- he really was talented! IMO, Pollock was
a victim of the art critics and the media who made him famous.
Susan on Long Island

---