Re: Thanks, and the Cambria Art Retreat

---------

From: Art Sherwyn (art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 26 2001 - 10:56:23 PST

           To the many art comrades at artsednet, I am fairly new, but it
has been quite incredible to read all your comments, concerns and questions
over the past few weeks. I have been home since Xmas vacation healing from
knee replacement surgery, and your statements have helped get me through all
this. Except for the NY stuff because I was scheduled to speak at 2:00 on
the Sat. and I had to withdraw because my leg was too weak. I was in total
envy.
      I hope I am not steeping out of bounds, but the reason for my message
is to alert any of you who could use an uplifting, life enhancing, artistic
experience, that will improve the quality of your life, inside and outside
the art classroom;
    Many of your concerns, and comments in regards to technique vs.
expression, and the artist as a teacher is superbly defined at the Cambria
Art Retreat on the Cambria Coast, California in July. The retreat provides
an extraordinary blend of technique and expression, laying out the playing
field, and motivating personal style within that field. It is designed to
motivate the artist in you, yet you will experience a host of strategies and
tactics to use in the classroom as well. You will practice a series of
learning progressions while perched on some of the most beautiful and serene
landscapes you can find. Explore the learning progression of "Line, Mass,
Dance," in a session called, "You have to dance it before you paint it."
     Visual Art is one of the few fields that one gets better with age.
Learn how to make that happen through the four stages of artistic
exploration, a plateau climbing process that is boundless and infinite. I
truly believe that this is one of the best ways to acquire more knowledge
while also stimulating, and motivating momentum in making your own art.
Every moment has a message, and every technique from drawing, and painting,
to seeing, has a well-designed, concrete learning progression that can be
modified to fit most any art experience you encounter.
 For anyone interested in learning more about the retreat, you can visit;
www.artsherwyn.com, there is a link for the retreat, which includes dates,
prices, photos, etc. Three semester units of upper division credit from
Chapman University can also be earned. Sign-ups are being taken now, if you
have any questions, please contact me. It would be great to have some
artsednet members taking part.
 Thanks, ART