Re: music composition grant help?

---------

From: Michelle Lowe (mishlowe_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 26 2001 - 06:38:03 PST

At 06:51 PM 3/25/2001 -0800, you wrote:
> But how in the heck does someone start looking for grants and get the
ball rolling? Can anyone >suggest anything to me that I can relay to her?
And.... Should she do it a doctorate, or can it be >done with a regular
classroom teacher ??

She could write a grant either way, or maybe both working together?

> We're just starting to investigate, so any help is greatly appreciated.
> Thank you in advance... wouldn't it be wonderful to be able to use her
>approach and have kids composing as easily as they paint, write, and speak?
>I'm excited for her! I've seen it work, and any of us could do it.

Sounds incredible Maryann!
Has your daughter written grants before? Phoenix Arts Commission and
Arizona Arts Commission both put out newsletters with grant information
here, I looked through the city of Phoenix's offers for educational grants
(and others) and I was amazed at the possibilities. They have an annual
deadline for these and the grants for the arts are generally written, so
you can freely work within their limits to create whatever learning
situation you can think of, and propose it as a grant. I keep intending to
work on one myself, but I haven't taken the time yet, that much you do have
to invest. A science teacher at my elementary school has written several
grants and done some really wonderful projects with the kids. Once you
write your first grant, it gets easier, of course, and you can use the
previous ones as input.

I want to volunteer to help with the research on it!!!

Mishy
Michelle Lowe, potter in the Phoenix desert
 \|/ | mishlowe@amug.org
 -O- | | Mishy@desertdragonpottery.com
 /|\ | | |
       |_|_| www.amug.org/~mishlowe