Re: portfolios

---------

From: Mark Alexander (malexander06_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 26 2001 - 05:00:25 PST

I need to save a lot of artwork for art shows, but the artists need to take
it home right away, while their level of excitement and pride is at its
highest. So I've been trying to work out a system which meets both needs.
I'm getting close to a solution.

We have a cubby full of portfolios for each class. Each student has a
personal portfolio (folded 24x36 tag board) in the cubby. There is also an
Art Show Folder in each cubby. Periodically we pass out all the portfolios,
then pass out all the saved artwork. I also pass out the contents of the Art
Show Folder. The student artists put the artwork into their portfolios. I
ask them to select their 2 most favorite artworks, title it, and pass it
back to me to be returned to the Art Show Folder. The rest they get to take
home. They get to adjust their art show selections each time, if necessary.

I try to do this every quarter, but I find I put it off. This usually takes
up about half a 50 minute class period, so its good to combine with a mop up
day, finishing last details on projects.

This system works best in grades 1-6. For Pre-K and K its easier if I just
select art show pieces then pack up the rest for them to take home. I save
all grade 7-8 artwork until the end of the year, unless the student
specifically asks for it, because I get such a dull ache in my heart when I
see their artwork lying like litter in the hallway or unceremoniously
stuffed in the trash.

So there is my compromise solution. I'll keep watching this thread. Thanks
all.

Mark

---