Re: portfolios

---------

skygeoff_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon Mar 26 2001 - 06:33:32 PST

Hi Liz,

I don't use portfolios so I do send the work home. I used to teach private art
lessons at the homes of my students. Every house I visited had their children's
art work displayed on the refrigerator. It wasn't folded. I always tell the
children not to fold it because it's so special - especially to their parents.
Of course I know it helps that the parents of my students are very supportive of
the arts. In some houses I saw a whole wall of framed pictures that we had done
in the art room.

My students also tell me about the work that their siblings are bringing home.
They get excited about it and are eager to do the projects done in the upper
grades. I think it's important for the children to get immediate feedback on
their work. I think that if the stuff comes home in June when summer vacation
is about to begin it won't get the attention it gets all through the year. I'm
sure there are equally good arguments for keeping portfolios but this is what I
do.

Sky

menichino wrote:

> I'm just curious to see how others feel --
> Do you feel it's better for young children to be able to bring their work
> home immediately after they create it, or to have it stored in these
> portfolios we're discussing?

---