Re: portfolios

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 25 2001 - 19:17:01 PST

I think it also depends upon the age of the students. My art shows are
arranged as K-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-12. The primary kids will ask me the day after
the art show when are we going to have the art show! I am always amazed, but
think they have expectations of something grand happening! By the time the
3-4 show comes around they are anticipating it. I allow them to choose 4
artworks to hang - plus I usually have one special project I display as a
grouping. They will not choose the artworks that look the best, but rather
the one they had the most fun doing, and that's ok. 5-6 are only required to
display 2-3 artworks, as they are starting to be self-conscious about their
work, but I also hear great comments as they go through their portfolios. I
love asking them at the beginning of the year who all has X # of portfolios,
and am always amazed at how many of them will have them all. I do allow them
to take home their "practice drawings" at the end of each class period, so
they get the best of both worlds.
~Michal ~ who needs to get ready to go back to work tomorrow

whest177@wheatstate.com
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

---