Re: new teacher

---------

From: Anna N. (anna_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 25 2001 - 16:33:17 PST

Oh yes,

I've been there. Give it some time, they'll come around. They had a
wonderful art teacher before I came, and the principal of the school said
more than once (as did some others) "you've got big shoes to fill". Not
my favorite thing to hear. Also, keep in mind that the kids don't mean
they DONT like you, but just that they were used to the other teacher, and
therefore miss her. I even had kids in the middle of the year ask when
she was coming back! That hurt. But I realized it wasn't becasue of me
(though for my feelings it took a little longer... :-) it was just that
they missed her as the persona nd wonderful teacher she was. I've done
that with teachers who have retired...I miss them, no offence to the new
ones. They soon will rememeber YOUR lessons from last year, and gloat
about them. I also prepped them when I first came and said it was okay to
miss her, and that I am different, and will probably do things
differently. I left the door open for them to share their feelings about
her with me, and that helped me too. I added that I looked forward to lots
of fun, and getting to know them etc... etc... We'll all get to know each
other. Then we did a lesson about people all being different, but how
wonderful it can be to meet new people, different - not good or bad...

Hope this helps.

Anna

---