Re: portfolios

---------

From: Judie (judiej50_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 25 2001 - 15:34:30 PST

I think younger children do want to take their work
immediately--unfortunately a lot of it does get damaged in transit as you
mentioned.

From a high school teacher's point of view, I think if students--at least
in the middle school grades--were taught to keep their work in a portfolio
and to keep sketchbooks, they would take their art more seriously by the
time they reach high school.

When we get out portfolios out at the end of the year and go through them,
the students are always amazed at how much they have progressed during the
year.

JJ

>I'm just curious to see how others feel --
>Do you feel it's better for young children to be able to bring their work
>home immediately after they create it, or to have it stored in these
>portfolios we're discussing?
>I must have read somewhere that it's "better" for children's sense of pride
>to be able to bring work home right away to share with families. That if we
>save it till the end of the year they have lost the emotional connection
>with it. What I'm wondering now is could this just be poppycock?? Maybe I
>should be saving their work for them -- at least, as someone mentioned, it
>wouldn't get all scrunched up in a backpack.....
>Any thoughts?
>Liz in rural NY -- where it's still snowing!!!!!

---