More images of African art

---------

From: JDecker (JDecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 25 2001 - 11:52:31 PST

Melissa just sent me these links....The first one has art that can be
purchased --but has descriptions of each piece that appear to be accurate. I
"borrowed" many of the images to add to my African Art PowerPoint. I am
particularly intrigued by the Dogon horse shaped troughs/ arks (I believe
the symbolism is that the horse was the first animal off the ark that came
down from the sky--Dogon creation story). I believe these were used
originally in boys' circumcision ceremonies---but neat anyways (these may be
extra fancy just to sell). The ones on this site are more interesting the
ones I have seen previously (Melissa has a neat one in her photo album, too
http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4293704841&p=4284012272&idx=95 )

http://www.arttribal.com/

This is the "online" museum...descriptions of the cultures--but none on the
items shown....So you will have to look elsewhere if you do not know the
meanings of the pieces. I "borrowed" images from the cultures I am
interested in to add to my PowerPoint.
http://www.zyama.com/

Since these are commercial sites (importer from New Jersey)--I will not list
them on my African links pages. I have "borrowed" many images from
commercial sites though to show kids. These link to "Art and Life of
Africa" - University of Iowa (although in frame - for more info on
cultures):
http://www.uiowa.edu/~africart/toc/index.html

Judy Decker

---