My recommendation for a digital camera

---------

From: JDecker (JDecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 25 2001 - 04:57:56 PST

Try before you buy.....I am sold on the Sony Mavica now because of the ease
in doing Web pages (automatically at 72 resolution --and I can put all of
the image for one page on one disk). My Ricoh was excellent for image
quality. I got prints from it that equaled Xerox photo copies of images --it
was amazing. You have to decide what you are really looking for. I bought
the Sony FD95 (which does have higher resolution capabilities) in September
and sold the Ricoh (which still had higher resolution ---but I didn't have
an easy way to transfer the images to my computer at school--the Ricoh used
a cable). I have yet to play with the movie features of the Sony--but my son
loves it! (Hmmmm....I better use the Sony this weekend because I wouldn't
let him take it to Chicago on a field trip)

I really wanted the Panasonic that would also save to super floppies---but
no one carried it locally at the time -- So Sony was my choice. The owner of
the camera store showed me all of the neat things the Sony will do....and if
I have problems-- he is there to help.

 I would recommend checking with your local camera stores before going on
line (I live in a fairly small city---but several stores carry Sony
Mavicas --and other options as well ---Now Office Max even has the
Panasonic). Before I recommended to our "tech guy" that we buy Sony Mavica
several years ago, I borrowed one from a local company and sold the tech guy
on the features. He wanted to buy Casios because they were cheaper. Every
once in a while he tells me how he never uses his Casio because the Sony are
so much more convenient...I just smile.

Something else you should consider is battery life. My Sony has a recharge
cable that hooks right up to the camera. It's great. Most of my work with
the Ricoh had to be done with a power cord/adapter because it ran on 4 AA
batteries. When we took the Ricoh on trips, we had to take a couple sets of
extra batteries.

Well...I guess that is more than 2 cents worth....

Judy Decker

---