melting glass pieces

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 24 2001 - 10:14:08 PST

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526
*******************
(snip)...I also am interested in the
glass jewelry materials that a company named Ed Hoyt, had at the conference.
They were showing a small kiln for jewelry. I'm wondering if my 4th and 5th
graders could design pieces from the scraps of glass, not torch beadmaking,
of course. I thought I would pre-fire the glass so that the edges wouldn't
be sharp, then give them smooth pieces to use in a design and re-fire.
Anyone have experience with glass jewelry making? In elementary school? Do
I need to order this small kiln, or can I use my ceramic kiln?
  Susan on Long Island ---
*******************

This brings back memories...really OLD memories. Back in the 60's when I was
student teaching in Winston-Salem, NC, my co-op teacher and I went to a
really nifty place that made stain glass artwork and as a gift, got a
excessively large bundle of free leftover glass pieces. Not knowing what to
do with them, I had the mid. school kids break (with hammer) up pieces
wrapped in paper towels and white-glue the pieces onto tiles. We fired them
in a reg. clay kiln and they came out lovely with the colors flowing through
and around each. A few students tried making recognizable items like
sailboats, etc. and they came out too but with fuzzier edges than they
started with. Still worked. These made fabulous trivets. Toodles........Bunki

---