Re: artsednet digest: March 21, 2001

---------

From: FRANCIS REDFERN (nredfern_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 23 2001 - 16:53:48 PST

Hi. I'd like to share a particularly pleasing and rewarding unit my
middle school students are finishing -

They made marbles out of clay. Then we marbled fabric and paper. They
made marble bags out of the marbled fabric and bookmarks out of the
marbled paper, adding tassels. The students were pleased. I was pleased.
Some had NEVER sewn before, which is hard to comprehend since I've sewn
since 6th grade or so.
New for me was using the fabric and making the marbles - so, as is
typical for me I just jump in and try the lesson and then later figure
out how to get the most out of the lesson as far as history (marbles
have been traced back to centuries BC) and Math, for instance (lots of
meas;urement).

I guess what made it particularly rewarding was the students asking when
they got to take their things home - they often don't care much about
their projects.

Any feedback or comments?

Nora

---