Re: new teacher

---------

From: Wendy Manning (wmanning_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 23 2001 - 18:03:43 PST

They'll say that even if the previous teacher was a complete dud. Some kids just want to pull your strings.
     I met one "fondly remembered" previous teacher who said he'd never teach jr. high again...he hated teaching them, couldn't control them,they wouldn't do a thing for him, etc etc. So there was no beautiful relationship as the kids would have me believe.
    The last time I was in a similar situation I would respond with "I'd love to see some of your work from last year" (never got any but would have been fine if I had), or "That's nice, I'm glad you liked him, but you've got me now, let's get back to work", One class of rats would go on and on, implying that the reason they wouldn't do anything was that they liked him so much more than me, yada yada, and I finally commented that Mr. So-and-So retired early, and it was strange he hadnt been in to visit them even once, if they had been so wonderful. There was a silence, then one of them admitted "We were even worse for him than we are for you".
      It's YOUR room now, and YOUR program, and YOUR shoes. Enjoy.
Wendy
  Hi, this is a question for all the new art teachers who start at a new school and can't live up to the "ghost of the old art teacher." Even when you're finally feeling good about a lesson or something, a kid will say,"I wish the old art teacher was here or I wish we did what we did last year." My first day of school,I was greeted by a teacher who said," You've got big shoes to fill." Okay, thanks for the encouragment. Is it just me or has anyone else felt that way before?