Re: new teacher

---------

From: elizabeth justice (thankfulheart99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 23 2001 - 12:54:16 PST

--- Caryn kim <car12@cox.rr.com> wrote:
> Hi, this is a question for all the new art teachers
> who start at a new school and can't live up to the
> "ghost of the old art teacher." Even when you're
> finally feeling good about a lesson or something, a
> kid will say,"I wish the old art teacher was here or
> I wish we did what we did last year." My first day
> of school,I was greeted by a teacher who said,"
> You've got big shoes to fill." Okay, thanks for the
> encouragment. Is it just me or has anyone else felt
> that way before?
>

> Hi,

   I was fortunate in that the teacher before me was
not well liked. That's not to say that she was a bad
teacher she was just very moody and extremelly strict.

     I think the comment by the other teacher wasn't
thought out very well. He or she may have meant to
warn you or something. I hope everything evens out
for you.

    If the students continue to say these things maybe
you could tell them that you realize that you may not
do things like the old teacher but if they will try
maybe they might like what you're doing with them. Ask
them what they did last year. Maybe you could use some
ideas they suggest with a swing all your own. Who
knows, it's possible if you should decide to leave
this position they will be saying the same thing about
you.

Keep smiling!
Liz