Re: new teacher ideas

---------

From: MaryAnn Kohl (maryann_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 23 2001 - 10:35:28 PST

> I feel for you, however, because when a student
> did say they missed the old teacher, or they didn't like what I was doing,
> or my colleagues said things about how the other teacher worked,

I had this experience too. When the kids would say, "I miss "Mrs. Old
Teacher", she was so nice, or she was so good at this or that", I would say,
"Oh, I do too. She was wonderful...." and then we'd just move on. Little by
little, they came to appreciate the NEW teacher too.

You might even ask the kids what their favorite project or lesson was that
their former teacher did with them, and then let them do it again for you so
they can "show off" for you, showing you what they loved about her and the
art they did. Then, use it as a jumping off place to do something new. Kind
of a camaraderie approach to bridging the gap.

MaryAnn F. Kohl
maryann@brightring.com
http://www.brightring.com
We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are dull, some are
pretty, some are broken, most have strange names, all are different colors
... and they fit perfectly in the same box! ~ author unknown

---