Re: new teacher

---------

From: artappeal (artappeal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 23 2001 - 10:10:09 PST

Caryn wrote (snippets)
Hi, this is a question for all the new art teachers who start at a new
school and can't live up to the "ghost of the old art teacher." . . ." My
first day of school,I was greeted by a teacher who said," You've got big
shoes to fill."

     I was lucky enough to have "grumpy shoes" to fill. The teacher taught
great lessons, and people liked him personally, but he wasn't happy to be a
teacher anymore . . . Sooooooo, no matter what I did, as long as I was nice,
the kids responded to it. I feel for you, however, because when a student
did say they missed the old teacher, or they didn't like what I was doing,
or my colleagues said things about how the other teacher worked, It hurt my
feelings. My advice is to not take it personally, keep on doing your best
and being you, eventually they will see all your good points and the old
teacher will just be a distant fond memory.

Leah

---