Back from New York / Long Post

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 23 2001 - 06:13:36 PST

Hey There,
        I got back Monday afternoon, but I had to do our taxes before
I could spend very much time at the computer. The convention was a
great experience and the best part was getting to see and meet
many of the ArtsEdNetters in person. I got to see a little of New
York but spent the bulk of my time at the Hilton. I have photos from
both the Wednesday dinner and the Saturday breakfast but some
people don't want them published. So I may send them out in individual
e-mails. I'll need help putting names and faces together.
        It was fantastic to meet so many of you. Thanks to Susan on Long
Island for setting up the Wednesday dinner so we could meet. Nancy,
it was a great conference. I'm so glad Jill and Jim could make it all
the way from New Zealand. Judy was always busy at the Sax booth.
        This was my first time in New York, I know I'll get back, with Frani,
and play tourist next time. I went to the Moma and the crafts museum
just a
few blocks away. It's always an eye opener to see the real thing
close up. Picasso's "Woman in a Mirror" impressed me for the ease
of the brush strokes. In reproductions it seems so tightly designed, but in
person in has a real calligraphic feel. Thank you Sky, for taking time
to go with me to the Guggenheim and the Met. Sky is right, when you
visit a museum with someone else you visit parts you wouldn't
on your own. I took Sky to the Chinese collection and she gave me
a tour of the Vermer paintings. Dinner with Sky gave me a chance to
talk one on one with another Art educator. Those sort of conversations
are the best part of a conference.
        There were over 4,800 at this conference. I think every one of them
crowded into the Binney and Smith party. New York was impressive
but it sure is good to be home to a more comfortable sized town like
Kansas City. On Sunday Maggie, Ann, Sharon, her hubby and I went to
Times Square. Thanks to my old friend Jan Norman, for helping get the
student art on the Jumbo screen in Times Square. We went there to see
"Annie Get Your Gun." That was a beautiful experience.
Everyone should take in a Broadway show. On the way back we lost
Maggie in the crowd. I hope she writes and says that she forgives us.
Sharon's hubby had hurried on ahead to get their car to avoid paying for
an extra day and Maggie was missing. Ann and I split from Sharon to grab
a Subway to visit Jane in Brooklyn. Pizza, beer and good company in
Jane's Brownstone apartment. I'll let Jane tell you about the mice.
I've got to go back sometime because I didn't get to walk
across the Brooklyn Bridge.
        I'll write later about ideas I picked up at the conference. But Bunkie
and Carolyns presentation was packed. They put their ideas, lessons and
examples on CD's, what a wonderful resource. At my presentation, I got to
meet Michelle Harrell who also wants her students publishing artists
interviews. The best part was meeting old and new friends. Some I hadn't
seen in years and others I've only been dating over the web.
        The triplets will be over this weekend while Buddy and Sharri start
building their new house in the country. I bought tickets to take them all
to see Barney next month. Winslow Homer is at the Nelson and I need to
set up a field trip. Monday it's back to school, back to reality, New
York is
over and Spring Break will soon be gone as well.
        It was great to meet all of you. Lets do this again sometime.
                                                                Woody in KC

--
                       To respond to me privately via E-mail
                           click on  mailto:wduncan@kc.rr.com