NAEA/New York

---------

From: One of the Colmans (colmans1_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 23 2001 - 03:23:37 PST

I've been trying to find the time to write to you all about my experience in
NY. Today we have a professional day and I have a one hour delay in my
schedule so here goes.
This was only my third conference ( did LA last year and Boston back in the
late 80's). I don't have much to compare to, but it was definitely the best
for me too. The location alone made the conference this year so special. I
grew up in Stamford,Conn. and visited NY when I was in high school, but
really haven't been back much since then ( 32 years ago!). I have
intimidated by the whole idea of NY but that's all a distant memory now. I
am in with NY!!!! Thanks to Jane and all her expert advice, we took the
subway downtown and explored Chinatown, Little Italy, SoHo and the Village.
Jane, thanks for the tip on Pearl River and Mulberry Street. Woody, I found
the Nancy Hoffman gallery and saw 3 beautiful Raffaels as well as some great
Viola Frey ceramic sculptures. I had printed out all the advice from
artsednetters on sights to see and restaurants before I went and it was all
so helpful.

I'm sorry I didn't make the Wed. gathering or the Sat am breakfast meeting
of artsednetters. My daughter unexpectedly accompanied me for the first
night and I was spending time with her shopping on 5th Ave and visiting St.
Patricks and Rockefeller Center.(Did anyone else check out the new Euro H&M
store- fantastic merchandise and prices!) I was fortunate to be able to
meet some of you by chance ( Ken, Myriam, Pam, Leslie, Carolyn and
Gabrielle) and also was able to say hi to some people I had met last year (
Maggie, Judy Nagel, and Bunki). It was great to see some of my old
colleagues from Jefferson Co. Colo. including Trish Gans who gave a
wonderful hands-on workshop on using sketchbooks in the classroom.

My favorite presentation was given by Linda Popp, national secondary art
teacher of the year, who outlined her program with wonderful slides and a
great sense of humor. She illustrated the progression of student 2D work
through the 4 years of art. An example would be the subject of a self
portrait and how it progresses from pre-instruction to a basic self
portrait, then to a self portrait that incorporates a hand holding an
object, then to a self portrait which might include an interior to finally
the extreme self portrait which illustrates a powerful emotion or an unusual
viewpoint. She also coordinates a wonderful art auction at her high school
as well as an edible art event. She was truly an inspiring teacher as was
Mark Coates last year who hails from Maryland as well.

I also attended Bunki and Carolyn's workshop ( Bunki I was able to get a
sample of the large coffee filters in the vendor area) and Ken Vieth's. The
first session we attended was the one given by Nancy Walkup and Pam Stephens
on Thurs. morning at 8 ( Bridging the Curriculum through Art). After all
these years of reading your posts, I was so happy to be able to see you in
the flesh! What a great way to kick off the convention. Nancy, I echo
everyone else and thank you for providing us all with so much!!

Thanks to the 2 best roomates ever-- my sister Kathy from NJ and my "sister"
Liz from E. Bridgewater, MA. Sharing this conference with you was beyond
extraordinary!!

Marian

---