Back From the Conference

---------

From: Randy Menninghaus (india99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2001 - 14:13:52 PST

This was the the first national conference for me. I really enjoyed
meeting some of the ArtsEdNet people. Unfortunately I did not get to
stay for the Wednesday night dinner. I got there early, and was not sure
if I was staying because the Maine contingent was all over the hotel. We
were reconnecting at 6:15. So I bailed out of the dinner meeting at
5:30 pm. I felt sad doing so but I really didn't think with one check I
would get out in time. Dear Rosie ( Rosiekins ) took me up to the
penthouse to forage for snacks. I have fun sitting with some of the
people from Kansas.

So much of the conference was on a huge scale. I enjoyed the Binney
reception. However the number of people overwhelmed me. I filled my
plate based on where there were no crowds... so I had an interesting
dinner. I sat by the stage, and enjoyed the Cats performers, for about
40 minutes. Then the sheer number of people in the reception overwhelmed
me. I had been up since 4 am. I went to my room. I was sharing a room
with 3 other wonderful people. However, one friend was a cosmic snorer.
The whole conference I was averaging 3 hours of sleep a night( with
earplugs, two pillows over my head ;))

Favorite memories: Going to the Met twice. Seeing Law and Order being
filmed outside the Met. Listening to the first 4/5 of Sandy Sloglands
talk. I will never look at formica the same way again. Enjoying Merle?
the Sanitation Artist in Residence, going to Harold's Perspective
presentation, the Triangular book workshop, Woody Duncan's power point
presentation ( By far the most polished and technologically successful
presentation in IMHO) his students Living Artists Process. I had the
misfortune to be in the room that Bunki was about to present in For
Oodles, but I accidentally left it to look for Bunki. The presenter
before Bunki was excellent, however, once I left the room a zillion
people poured in. I enjoyed meeting Judy at Sax , and Marti at Square
One. I enjoyed the venders. I went to the Guggenheim for the first
time.
I went to Moma. I walked a gazillion city blocks. I met someone from
New Zealand, but not Jill ;(

Yesterday I wrapped up my samples and had a yankee swap with my senior
art students. They were delighted. They have agreed to comparison test
the samples and let me know.

It was fun.

Randy in Maine ( presently sleeting with a promise of 6 inches of snow)

---