Nude figure drawing in Youth Art Month exhibit

---------

From: Dr. Kim L. Defibaugh (kdefibau_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2001 - 06:28:26 PST

Hi everyone,

It was great meeting many of you at breakfast and dinner in NYC.
Especially Beth and Eileen who trudged around museums with me.

Perhaps you can help me with a dilemma. I am Youth Art Month chairperson
for NJ. On Monday I will be hanging an exhibit of student work in the
Trenton State House. Five examples of student work were submitted for
the exhibit from 14 counties in NJ. One of the pieces is a large, drawing
of a male nude (frontal). I am a little wary about hanging it in the
exhibit as many families with young children will be attending a reception
on Monday evening. State senators, assemblymen, State Board of Education
members, our acting governor and new Commissioner of Education are all
invited and many are attending. I am worried that it will stir a
controversy and affect future requests to exhibit in the State House but I
am also concerned about censoring work for the show. What do you think I
should do? I will present your suggestions to the board of the Art
Educators of NJ to help them decide what to do.

Thanking you in advance,
Kim Defibaugh

---