Re: oil pastels

---------

Bicyclken_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Wed Mar 21 2001 - 16:39:50 PST

In a message dated 03/21/2001 6:51:32 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Susan_Holland@teachnet.edb.utexas.edu writes:

> Was wondering if ya'll could toss any oil pastel lessons my way. I have
> junior
> high students. We're probably going in a field trip to an exhibition of
> French
> Impressionist Landscapes Next month. Any thoughts on tying this in with oil
> pastel (or other media)

I teach a lesson with oil pastels in which we study Impressionists and then
pick a painting that is important to each student. They try to come up with
a composition that uses the same subject matter and scene but with
contemporary things.

They use the original painting for colors and style and then use oil pastels
to mimic the impressionist paintings. They layer it thick and use q-tips,
tortillions and paint thinner to blend and mix the colors so that it looks
like the real impressionist works.

The research is important to see how each Impressionist works and their
style. I do this with my Art 4 class in H.S. but it could be done at lower
levels.

Ken Schwab
San Jose, CA

---