Re: Russian Crafts

---------

From: John Kupcinski (jckup_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 21 2001 - 10:02:15 PST

Others on the list have contributed a good sampling of Russian crafts,
i.e., lacquer boxes, Faberge and Ukrainian eggs, mytruska dolls, miniature
flower painted pins, floral trays, etc. They also do some very intricate
(gorgeous) wood carving on birch boxes; wood carving, in general, is
popular here. Little figures (about 2 1/2 inches high) carved from wood
and handpainted in the tradional russian costumes are another. There's a
number of small factories that produce their "jel-ware" -- blue and white
painting on ceramic bowls, cups, teapots, dishes, tiles. Clay whistles and
embroidery are another type of popular folk art. There's also the hand
woven carpets from Daghestan.

Where to find them -- come to Ismailovo here in Moscow. There's over 200
vendors that sell all of this every weekend, in an outdoor market. I'll
check tomorrow at school, I think our library has a good book on russian
folk art. If it does, and you're still desperate for a resource, email me
privately and maybe I can scan in some of the pictures for you.

Cheryl

CastinPhan@aol.com wrote:
>Does anyone know any Russian Crafts, or where to find them? In a bind.

---