Russian folk painting, dolls

---------

From: Merrilee Gladkosky (gladrag_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 21 2001 - 04:07:09 PST

Another type of Russian doll has a simple U (invert that) head on a
rectangular body and is decorated with needlework. Could be adapted. My
favorite: Russian lacquerware and brushstroke painting....Using chinette
quality paper plates you could paint them black and decorate with brush
stroke style flowers. Add gold paint for effect and maybe a little silver.
Edge decorations are important. Then use modge podge to create
finish...usually very lustre like, but classroom style we can get away with
alot. Russian lacquerware is often done on paper mache but the techniques
are very complex. I think Zhostova is the style of painting...at least in
that particular town where this is done. I've studied the brushwork, but
it's hard to explain. They make beautiful pins and trays. the pins are
almost always ovals decorated with little tiny flower paintings, again, on
black, occasionally you see barn red. It's worth looking this up. The oval
pins are raised in the center and remind me of the old "pour the plaster in
the plastic spoon" to make a pin that we did when I was in fourth
grade....in the 50's. Oh dear. I guess age is also wisdom and it certainly
is experience. Brushstroke work is a great way to have kids aware of what a
brush can do, the variety of strokes.
Merrilee in Connecticut
Oh, I do a lot with dollmaking (as figure sculpture with my kids) just
finished doing wrap dolls. While their work is not up there is a tutorial
on our dollmaker's club's website. Go to the blue star, mid page and click
on it and the the list of links for wrapped dolls. It worked beautifully in
grades 5 and 6.
http://www.fabricmanglers.homestead.com/index.html

---