NAEA....best ever!

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 20 2001 - 21:18:39 PST

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526
************************
Nancy did a smash-up job of NAEA planning! Best ever! Thanks for all those
hours you spent organizing to make an outstanding convention.

The B&S (Binney & Smith) group outdid themselves with the food this year.
What a wonderful surprise to walk into a "room of food". There were many
separate buffet tables of Chinese, Italian, cold cuts, desserts,
drinks/wine. Been to five conventions now and it's never been like this at
B&S! Absolutely outstanding. Hope they keep this up for next year! I've got
a feeling they had food leftover because there was sooooo much of it.

Having SAX's nametags was such a plus so we could recognize each other. It's
so funny to be talking to someone and be looking at their chest to see who
they are!

I saw some really nifty presentations and hands-on workshops. One of my
favorites was "Figuratively Speaking" which was basically sketching with
watercolors....kind of like what a courtroom artist might do. We spent 2
hours sketching models with paintbrush/watercolor...sometimes using negative
space only, sometimes positive space. I see this one being better for hi.
schoolers but I enjoyed the exercises very much.

Another favorite was, of course, Maggie's weaving workshop. As much as I
weave in my classes, it's always a kick to see what other teachers do and I
actually learned a few new things. Thanks, Mag. You were terrific. The time
flew by!

Can't forget the "Bold and Black with Markers". Had no clue what this might
be about but signed up for it anyway and it was dynamite! After talking
about diff. lines, thicknesses, blah, blah...we wrote out our name on a
sheet of paper, added florishes with diff. sized black markers, turned the
paper around until we "found" something and added more florishes and color.
Bet this sounds confusing but it was an outstanding lesson. This one you
could take up or down the age levels.

Took a "Subtractive Sculpture" workshop where we carved into rectangles of
plastic molding (like the stuff you pack computers into boxes with). We
carved Easter Island "faces". Talk about all that "squeaking". You
know....like running your fingernails down a chalkboard. You can paint them
with tempera when finished and it smooths out the plastic as you wet it with
paint. Neat idea but really darn messy. It sticks to your clothes and you
look like you just went walkin' in a hailstorm.

Took the "Triangle Sculptural Book" with Ann Ayers who has the best book
ideas ever. Always love her workshops. This year it was a triangle
book...like the rectangle book of a few years ago.

Got a great new book from Davis called "You Can Weave!"...ISBN
0-87192-493-5. There are MANY ideas and really good for elem./mid. school.
If you're into weaving, check it out.

Guess you heard about our presentation. I checked the room (by myself) the
day before our presentation and gulped when I saw it. There were 200 chairs
and I was panicked we wouldn't fill 50! We had a great turn-out and it was
my first time ever using a handmike. THAT made me really nervous! It was so
great seeing alot of you members and I'm so glad you make the effort to come
up and say "hi" and share a hug. You are my life-lines.

Found this really nifty "pumper" (for lack of a better word) at the venders'
booths you can add on to your gallon of glue to use to fill your smaller
glue bottles. It has a stopper to keep the glue dry inside and runs around
$9. They told me it was in the major catalogues but I can't find it yet in
the catalogues I have. Think Crayola was showing it. I'm gonna hunt this one
down. It's a winner.

Had some major glitches in shuttle transportation to and from the airport
and one R-E-A-L-L-Y bad Perspective workshop where we got to do "hands-on"
for exactly 8 minutes for $30! Other than that, it was an absolutely
FABULOUS week of learning and fun. Exhausted but happily so.
Toodles.......Bunki

PS...Whoever said they drive fast in NYC and everyone wears black was RIGHT
ON THE MONEY!

---