Interesting Art Supplies from NY Conference...

---------

From: S Krause (frostyoranges_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 20 2001 - 15:39:20 PST

Nancy, I add my thanks to the list for your work in setting up a dynamite
conference!

Besides the presentations, I was excited by the vendor displays. Last time
I went to the conference (in DC) I didn't have my own classroom, so the
vendors were less relevant to me. This time around I was thinking, "Ooh,
can we use that? Can we use that? We'll have to buy that!"

Those who were there (and those who weren't): have you ever used D'UVA
supplies (all non-toxic)? I was thrilled at the demo (the guy was at the
Dick Blick booth). They make this charcoal called LITHOCOAL, that draws
like charcoal but can be heat-set (iron, oven, or heat gun) to permanency -
no more smudging! Plus it can be used for lithography. They also make
CHROMACOAL, which is kind of like pastels - possibly a bit chalkier -
colored stuff that's heat-fixable too. And ERASABLE liquid watercolor, also
heat-fixable (though you have to dilute it with an alcohol/water mix when
you paint with it). If you dump it in water, you can marbleize so easily!
Plus you can paint on fabric with it, and if you don't like what you did,
you can throw it in the wash (no staining) and start over. Until you
heat-set it, it's fully removable. I love the idea of erasing watercolor
(rather than fussing with sea sponges)! The coolest thing for me was
erasable SUMI (go figure) - but it really looked like a deep, rich black.
Until he erased it. SO interesting. I'm wondering if anyone out in
art-land has ever used any of this stuff in class? & how it worked out?

Stephanie

---