artist/teacher (technique vs. expression) short bibliography

---------

From: lia (johns392_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 20 2001 - 07:22:43 PST

The the discussion about the conflict between artist/art teacher.....and
how that manifests itself in teaching....which would include technique vs.
expression.....(in this conversation anyway) is not a new one. This
particular topic is a small piece of a research project that I have been
working on.... Dealing with the transition from Artist to art
teacher. Anyway......this short list of some of the writing on this topic
might be interesting to a few of you. Contact me privately for any
questions. I especially like Andersons and Balls work for understanding
where/why the conflicts are.

Oh. ...and I am 49 and need to go back to work....so I can start my 24 year
stint to retirement. Barnes and Noble part time doesn't do much for saving
money! YIKES!

lia

Anderson, R. (1995). The artist's studio as space of creativity. Canadian
Review of Art Education, 22, 56-80.

Anderson, R. (1997). A case study of the artist as teacher through the
video work of Martha Davis. Studies in Art Education, 39, 37-56.

Ball, L. (1990). What role: Artist or teacher? Art Education, 43, 54-59.

Day, M. D. (1986). Artist-teacher: A problematic model for art education.
The Journal of Aesthetic Education, 20, 38-42.

Hammer, B. (1984). The artist as teacher: Problems and experiments. Journal
of Education, 166, 181-187.

Flannery, M. (1968). The artistic teacher of art. Art Education, 21, 21-23.

LaChapelle, J. R. (1991). In the night studio: The professional artist as
an educational role model. Studies in Art Education, 32, 160-170.

LaPierre, S. (1992). The professional artists thinking style: An in-depth
study. Annual Meeting of the National Art Education Association .

Michael, J. A. (1980). Studio art experience: The heart of art education.
Art Education, 33, 15-19.

Newick, S. (1982). The experience of aloneness and making of art. The
Journal of Aesthetic Education, 16, 65-74.

Szekely, G. (1978). Uniting the roles of artist and teacher. Art Education,
31, 17-20.

Szekely, G. (1988). Encouraging creativity in art lessons. There is a
chapter in this book called the Artist-teacher.

---