Re: Crayola Markers...a suggestion

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 20 2001 - 05:06:06 PST

I know this is like preaching to the choir here I suppose, and no doubt most
have tried this, but one way I stretch my Crayola markers is I have made it
a personal creed to never let my students (k-12...so I have enough use of
them), use them in a way that colors large areas in solid with the markers.
I teach them early on to use a rythym motion, (mine is diagonal), and make
few actual marks, then....go over those marks with a appropriate size
watercolor brush and clear water. It turns into a remarkable watercolor,
very colorful. It teaches control.

I have done this with VERY large banners, using the white rubber coated
backing fabric sheets that one attaches then to the back of curtains (know
what fabric I'm referring to?). I use the markers on the rubber coated
side, with the sheet pinned up against the wall...then use very large
brushes and water to do a controlled bleed out and wash of the colors.
After dry, I usually reinforce with a black marker. Such large banners
require surprisingly little time, look very cool...and convince others
you've made an enormous contribution and sacrifice of your
      -Larry S http://www.artsmentor.org

---