Re: Music and Art *

---------

From: barb cicchelli (bcriverspirit_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 19 2001 - 06:43:05 PST

 Sounds really exciting-my music teacher and I collaborate-I'd love it if you'd send me your "Around the World Curriculum" I'll pay any postage---to Barb Cicchelli 1657 Cattail Trail, Milford MI 48380..Thanx

  Sandy Bacon <sbacon@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
MaryAnn,

This is my second year teaching here in Ohio and I fortunately made friends
with the music teacher right off the bat. She and I decided this year that we
would do a tour around the world. The year actually kicked off with a parade
for an "Arts in the Alley Festival" which is sponsored by the Chamber of
Commerce and we marched with our school carrying a banner that read "Highland
Park Elementary Celebrates the Arts Around the World."

Last night we had our third of four PTA night presentations. We concentrated
on Mexico, Central and South America. I have been able to make several
different instruments, costumes, backdrops, etc. for each country we have
visited. For example, in Mexico, the one third grade class made bird rattles
or parrot rattles, a typical instrument used at fiestas, especially in
celebration of New Year. Some of the classes made pinatas, and there were
beautiful sombreros and serapes. I didn't have time to make maraccas (sp.),
but the music teacher made some with the kindergarten out of simple soup bowls
and construction paper.

When we visited Australia, I had fourth grades make didgeridoos. They were
awesome. I actually tied a proficiency outcome into the project when I had the
kids paint their instruments with patterns. Great color lesson.

We have found many wonderful ideas from assorted books and accidental
websites. My friend actually went to a conference this summer where they
learned to make several musical instruments.

If you are interested, I could send you snail mail the info I have. Just let
me know. Our curriculum has been well received by the rest of the staff and
parents so far. It's just great to have a partner in crime!

Sandy