Re: technique vs. expression~ larry

---------

From: Christine Sandeson (c.sandeson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 19 2001 - 04:56:19 PST

hi Larry

        You have added so much to this list - I appreciate all your
contributions.
        with daughter #1 off to college next year, I must continue
working - I will be finished my second year as art teacher this June,
but like yourself have 20+ experience as an artist. At 47 I am no
where near retirement. You may have read my moanings a few weeks ago.
Truth is that I become very anxious when teaching: the structure of
the day, dealing with so many people, trying to develop a
curriculum...
        The transfer of occupation from artist to teacher is
extremely major & I need to rethink my expectations of what a teacher
is. Expression is what I know best, but students are not focused on
the kind of meditation this requires. So I add technique and art
history in an academic way - that is what is causing my stress (so
much planning).
        My counsellor was asking whether there was a way I could
bring "the artist" into the classroom (and several list members
suggested I try that), so today I'm packing my sketchbook. Its not
studio work, but maybe I can do a series of student portraits...

christene

--
Rob and Christene Sandeson
Teacher & Artist