join artsednet.getty.edu

---------

From: francisco jimenez (kutzo_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 18 2001 - 21:21:20 PST

--- Mensaje Original ---
De: "ArtsEdNet Talk digest" [artsednet@lists.getty.edu]
Tema: artsednet digest: March 12, 2001
Para: "artsednetdigestrecipients"[artsednet@lists.getty.edu], kutzo@latinmail.com

>ARTSEDNET Digest for Monday, March 12, 2001.

1. NYC restaurants

2. Marketplace restauranr

3. Re: Living Artists (yes - you folks too-)

4. more on search engine for personal sites

5. RE: polyester mylar........

6. Re: Pringles and kaleidoscopes help......

7. Re: Mobiles for 2nd grade

8. Re: 4th grade watercolor landscapes

9. Re: Help needed... Pringles Can

10. Re: I need the wisdom of the sages: Reply

11. Re: Bunki's new art- WOW!

12. Re: Bunki's new art- WOW!

13. Looking for exc. web sites for secondary art ed.

14. NAEA Sax Poster

15. Nutty Putty

16. Re: Looking for exc. web sites for secondary art ed.

17. Met Exhibits--NYC

18. Re: Looking for exc. web sites for secondary art ed.

19. Re: 4th grade watercolor landscapes

20. Re: Mobiles for 2nd grade

21. citric acid for bath bombs

22. Mudworks book and Nutty Putty

23. Here's how to make a Kaleidoscope

24. Re: Living Artists to write to.....

25. Formula for good trees

26. Re: 4th grade watercolor landscapes

27. Re: Formula for good trees

28. Re: Pringles and kaleidoscopes help......

29. Re: Formula for good trees

30. Self-portraits and success

31. good tree teachers......

32. Laurel Burch and Bev Doolittle......

33. Re: egyptian art

34. Re: Formula for good trees

35. Projectors (was egyptian art)

36. optical illusion site.........

37. Re: NAEA Sax Poster

38. Re: Laura Chapman

39. Re: Laura Chapman

40. grid face project

41. Web site address correction for great sites

42. Online Picasso Quiz (attn: tech folks)

43. Re: Online Picasso Quiz (attn: tech folks)

44. Re: Web site address correction for great sites

45. Re: NAEA Sax Poster

Subject: NYC restaurants

From: One of the Colmans <colmans1@cape.com>

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 05:17:16 -0500

Wow Jane! Thanks for taking the time to give us all that great information.

I have printed it out and will be bringing it with me to NY. I'll look

forward to meeting you, but will be unable to come to your presentation as

we will be at the theatre that night. Hope it goes well for you.

Marian

Subject: Marketplace restauranr

From: One of the Colmans <colmans1@cape.com>

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 05:19:45 -0500

Originally I asked for 4 reservations to be made in my name. I'm not sure

now whether we will make it. If we can, I would prefer to stop by and say

hi instead of actually sitting down to have dinner. So please remove my

reservations from the list. Thanks and looking forward to meeting everyone,

Marian

Subject: Re: Living Artists (yes - you folks too-)

From: Batmom44@aol.com

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 06:14:36 EST

You might try Enzo Torcoletti at www.moultriecreek.com He is a

sculptor with an internationa reputation. He and his work are featured in the

textbook, "Sculpture" by Davis. Enzo is a very nice person who gets excited

about students interested in sculpture. He teaches at Flagler College in St

Augustine, Fla. He has been corresponding with a couple of my sculpture

students. He is very busy, so responses may be a little slow in coming.

Reatha

Subject: more on search engine for personal sites

From: Michelle Lowe <mishlowe@amug.org>

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 06:29:20 -0800

I asked my friend about the atomz search engine, here's what she sent back-

>From here:

http://www.atomz.com/support/01_search_faq/01_atomz_search_faq.htm#10

"How much does Atomz Search cost?

Atomz Express Search is free for sites with up to 500 pages,

and is a great way to evaluate our services. Atomz Prime

Search starts at $500 per year for sites with less than 250

pages. Atomz Enterprise Search starts at $5,000 per year.

For more information on pricing, please refer to the Atomz

Pricing Plans page."

Here's an article about it on zdnet, by a PC Magazine

writer:

http://www.zdnet.com/products/stories/reviews/0,4161,2679429,00.html

Michelle Lowe, potter in the Phoenix desert

 \|/ | mishlowe@amug.org

 -O- | | Mishy@desertdragonpottery.com

 /|\ | | |

       |_|_| www.amug.org/~mishlowe

____ | www.desertdragonpottery.com |

\ /-----|-----

( )

<__>

Subject: RE: polyester mylar........

From: "Sears, Ellen" <ESears@Anchorage.k12.ky.us>

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 08:36:51 -0500

I bought mine by the foot at an art supply store - where do graphic artists

buy their supplies in your area? That's who I was told buys it the most -

Ellen

Subject: Re: Pringles and kaleidoscopes help......

From: "Betty Bowen" <aunthoppy@yahoo.com>

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 06:58:25 -0800

Roberta, the new United Art and Education catalog has two types of mirror

paper, one mounted on board. Their web address is UnitedNow.com, toll free

at 1-800-322-3247

Subject: Re: Mobiles for 2nd grade

From: Smileatsusan@aol.com

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 10:02:55 EST

I adore Matisse! Did you know that he, as well as Paul Klee was an influence

on the work of Alexander (Sandy) Calder? We are currently doing a circus unit

focusing on the kinetic sculptures of Calder. The is an excellent video on

Calder that shows his performance of his wire sculpture circus.

Susan

Subject: Re: 4th grade watercolor landscapes

From: Smileatsusan@aol.com

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 10:08:06 EST

Perhaps a study in the parts and varieties of trees would help with the

detail problems. They could practice on a seperate peice of paper before

moving on to the final composition. I always tell my students to remember

when they were in preschool, and they made "lollipop" trees to try and get

them into thinking that they have moved WAY past this point. (Aren't I bad!)

They usually buy into the ploy, and avoid those lollipops!

Susan

Subject: Re: Help needed... Pringles Can

From: "Betty Bowen" <aunthoppy@yahoo.com>

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 07:33:37 -0800

I use pringles cans to cast glycerin soap. After it is cool, I just cut

off the metal rim with a serrated knife and peel off the can, & slice off

the soap.

Subject: Re: I need the wisdom of the sages: Reply

From: "Betty Bowen" <aunthoppy@yahoo.com>

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 07:38:16 -0800

This is my first year of teaching middle school, and I just had a show of

15 new pieces (of my own) hung at a jr. college. A miracle. The only way I

did it was to bring my supplies to school, and give myself an hour every

day after I'd picked up the room. I made everything the same size, the

same paper (woodcuts). During my planning period I could leaf through them

and think about what to do next - proved to be a really nice mental

"break".

I won't do this all the time, but it worked to get a show done.

I like what I'm doing because of the kids and also I have a really nice

faculty to work with.

Subject: Re: Bunki's new art- WOW!

From: "Betty Bowen" <aunthoppy@yahoo.com>

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 07:51:44 -0800

Bunki, my 7 & 8 are enlarging their photos on a grid, and it is taking

FOREVER for most of them, and they HATE it. One kid is zipping right along

beautifully, but he's moved here from a town where he had elementary art.

So, my question, were ALL of your self portraits this incredibly awesomely

good? did you have some really really bad ones too? Did absolutely every

student complete the project? Did some simply freak out over the grid

itself? Over tracing paper itself? I have so many who can not use a ruler,

and who even have trouble with the concept of "rectangle".

Absenteeism is so bad that after two weeks I still have kids whose photos

(digital) I have not taken.

I have 55 7 & 8 graders and I'm hoping for 20 portraits. Is that wrong?

Betty (glad to be back, missed youall)

From: "Cecilia Gollan" <GollanC@huronvalley.k12.mi.us>

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:38:15 -0500

I have done a similiar project with 6,7 and8. I think it really makes a =

difference if they have some background in art. 20 is a good start. I =

had about 120 students the first time I did this and some of the things =

they called finished were horrible. Keep up the good work.=20

>>> "Betty Bowen" <aunthoppy@yahoo.com> 03/12 10:51 AM >>>

Bunki, my 7 & 8 are enlarging their photos on a grid, and it is taking

FOREVER for most of them, and they HATE it. One kid is zipping right along

beautifully, but he's moved here from a town where he had elementary art.

So, my question, were ALL of your self portraits this incredibly awesomely

good? did you have some really really bad ones too? Did absolutely every

student complete the project? Did some simply freak out over the grid

itself? Over tracing paper itself? I have so many who can not use a ruler,

and who even have trouble with the concept of "rectangle".

Absenteeism is so bad that after two weeks I still have kids whose photos

(digital) I have not taken.

I have 55 7 & 8 graders and I'm hoping for 20 portraits. Is that wrong?

Betty (glad to be back, missed youall)

---

=20

Subject: Looking for exc. web sites for secondary art ed.

From: Beverley Whitworth <beverleywhitworth@yahoo.com>

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 09:23:39 -0800 (PST)

     I am becoming a secondary art teacher and would

like more excellent web sites for art lesson plans,

art history, art interactives, art web quests, and

anything else related to this field.  Also, is there

anything out there to support an art teacher who also

is a practicing artist?

     A few really oustanding web sites I have found

are:

http://www.sanford-artedventures.com/play/Leonardo/leo_e.html

This super interactive is about Leonardo da Vinci.

     Another great site:

http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/vinci/joconde/

This one is especially good at explaining why the Mona

Lisa is fascinating to many people.

     This  great site is factual yet brings out the

personality of Michelangelo:

http://www.Michaelangelo.com/buon/bio-index2.html

=====

Beverley A. Whitworth

beverleywhitworth@yahoo.com

http://auctions.yahoo.com/

Subject: NAEA Sax Poster

From: "Judy Nagel" <jdnag@elknet.net>

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 12:43:44 -0600

Hi All!  I forgot to tell everyone that is going to NAEA to stop at the Sax

booth if you want a poster of our cover.  It comes with an extra pair of

glasses to view the special effects.  See you all there.  Judy Nagel

Subject: Nutty Putty

From: MaryAnn Kohl <maryann@brightring.com>

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:12:56 -0800

Use this recipe instead

2 teaspoons Borax

another 1/3 cup water

In one bowl, mix the borax and 1/3 cup water. Let the borax dissolve

completely. Set aside.

2 cups regular Elmer's glue (not school glue)

1 3/4 cups water

In a second bowl, mix the glue and 1  3/4 cup water.

Add a few drops of food coloring, if you like.

Stir well.

Add the borax and water to the glue and water.

Before your eyes, the mixture will clump together.

Then knead it.

If there is excess water, ignore it.

Keep the putty in a large, ziplock plastic bag with air released. Will last

about 2-3 weeks. You'll know when it's time to toss by it's "fragrance".

( you can cut the recipe in half for a smaller batch or double for a larger

batch)

Subject: Re: Looking for exc. web sites for secondary art ed.

From: "Cecilia Gollan" <GollanC@huronvalley.k12.mi.us>

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 14:32:15 -0500

I have gotten a lot of ideas from School Arts and Arts and Activities =

Magazines.  It seems that I get ideas from ideas by using these great =

resources.  The articles are usually rejuvenating.

http://www.sanford-artedventures.com/play/Leonardo/leo_e.html=20

http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/vinci/joconde/=20

This one is especially good at explaining why the Mona

Lisa is fascinating to many people.

     This  great site is factual yet brings out the

personality of Michelangelo:

http://www.Michaelangelo.com/buon/bio-index2.html =20

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Beverley A. Whitworth

beverleywhitworth@yahoo.com=20

http://auctions.yahoo.com/=20

---

=20

Subject: Met Exhibits--NYC

From: Ann Heineman <aheineman@uaschools.org>

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 13:53:30 -0500

Dear Conference Folk in NYC,

	Here is a list of some special exhibits now on view at the

Metropolitan Museum of Art:

	Vermeer and the Delft School      March 8-May 27

	Correggio and Parmigianino: Master Draftsmen of the Renaissance

		through May 6

	The Treasury of Basel Cathedral     February 28-May 27

	Rain of the Moon: Silver in Ancient Peru   through April 22

	Have a great time everyone.  Looking forward to your conference

reports!

		Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus

From: "The Austin's" <whest177@wheatstate.com>

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 14:29:36 -0800

As you are searching for lesson plans for the secondary level don't rule out

the outstanding middle school sites maintained by several of our members.

Alot of these lessons are adaptable to higher levels - and sometimes I

believe that these teachers have some higher level middle school kids than I

have Seniors! *L*

I hate to list any of these as I know I'll leave some excellent sites off!

I'll give you the three that seem to post the most and be sure to check

their links. I hope no one if offended by my not mentioning them!

Judy Decker's - http://elms.elida.k12.oh.us/~jdecker/index.htm

Bunki's-

http://ww2.lcms.srvusd.k12.ca.us/faculty/Kramer/los_cerros_art_home_index.ht

Woody's - http://www.taospaint.com

This one covers all areas

Incredible Art Dept. -http://www.artswire.org/kenroar/

As far as interactive sites, my favorite site is

http://www.eduweb.com/adventure.html . A good one on optical illusions is

http://www.sandlotscience.com/ .

The BEST IMHO for anything relating to art history/artists is

http://www.artcyclopedia.com .

Hope this gives you a good starting place! How about posting all the info

you receive.

~Michal

whest177@wheatstate.com

http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

From: Rdunkelart@aol.com

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 16:08:09 EST

Susan - you mentioned the words lollipop and preschool

in your discouragement of 4th graders creating immature looking trees.  I too have used this vocabulary
and

three highly insulted girls reported me to the principal

He mentioned it to me  in passing - did not take it seriously.  This girls were also fourth grade - refused to
draw branches even when they looked out the window

they insisted on drawing the rounded topped trees.

Yikes - art teachers nightmare - that and scribbling

rather than taking the time to color with good craftsmanship.  Roberta

From: Rick <rlarson@tls.net>

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 16:39:29 -0500

Earlier this year, we made mobiles incorporating shapes and analogous colors.

We used the tri-fold paper constructions and they hung their shapes from these.

This was also second grade.  Let me know if you need more info.  Betsy

Subject: citric acid for bath bombs

From: MaryAnn Kohl <maryann@brightring.com>

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 14:18:09 -0800

--MS_Mac_OE_3067251490_9828824_MIME_Part

Here's a place to get citric acid for those bath bomb activities.

http://www.brambleberry.com/supplies.html

1 pound. - $2.50=20

I'm sure there are other places to buy the stuff, but I know these people,

so it seems like a good place to start!

MaryAnn

MaryAnn F. Kohl

Bright Ring Publishing, Inc.

PO Box 31338

Bellingham, WA  98228-3338

  360-734-1601

 360-676-1271 fax

      maryann@brightring.com

    http://www.brightring.com

>From this website... some bath fun:::::

http://www.teachsoap.com/bombs.html

Bath Bombs (and other FUN bathtime projects for kids AND grownups!)

Bath Bombs are like giant Alka-seltzers for your bath - they spin, whirl an=

swirl in your bath while releasing scent and skin-softening agents. They

make bath time SUPER fun!

You will need:

1/3 part citric acid

2/3 parts baking soda

Witch Hazel=20

BLEND BLEND BLEND BLEND the citric acid and baking soda =AD this step is supe=

important =AD if you don=B9t blend well, you end up with a grainy bomb. We

actually use a mixer on our larger batches. Once you=B9ve blended really well=

,

add your colorant. Dry pigments work best =AD don=B9t add too much though =AD the

color shows up once you add the witch hazel. Add your fragrance oils to you=

personal nose preference. Now, this is the difficult part. Spritz (with a

squirt bottle)  the witch hazel onto your batch while stirring with the

other hand. When your batch sticks together when squished, you need to star=

putting it in molds =AD time is of the essence. If you wait too long, the

mixture will get hard. If you spritz too much, the mixture will be too wet

and =B3grow=B2 (start the fizzing reaction) on you. Put the bombs in molds =AD

wait a few minutes and tap  them out. Let them air dry for 3 or 4 hours and

voila! Wonderful, hard bath bombs. The harder you pack the bath bombs, the

more dense, heavy, and durable bomb you will get.

For an extra moisturizing Bath Fizzy, try this recipe:

1 cup citric acid=20

2 cups baking soda=20

1 tsp. fragrance oil

1 tsp. olive oil (or cocoa butter)

Follow the basic bath bomb directions above and drizzle the olive oil in

with the fragrance oil. If you want to substitute some of the baking soda,

you can substitute up to 1 full cup with dehydrated milk (goat's milk or

regular milk). If you want a colored bath, add powdered food coloring or

liquid food coloring. If you add 1/2 tsp. of liquid food coloring to the

basic recipe, this should give you a colored bath. If you add 1/8 tsp.

powdered food coloring to the basic recipe, you will get a wonderfully

vibrant tub. If your tub is dirty, or has excess oil in it, this recipe wil=

leave a ring around your tub. Happy Soaping!

--MS_Mac_OE_3067251490_9828824_MIME_Part

<HTML>

<HEAD>

<TITLE>citric acid for bath bombs</TITLE>

</HEAD>

<BODY>

<BR>

<BR>

<BR>

Here's a place to get citric acid for those bath bomb activities.<BR>

<BR>

http://www.brambleberry.com/supplies.html>

<BR>

1 pound. - $2.50 <BR>

<BR>

I'm sure there are other places to buy the stuff, but I know these people, =

so it seems like a good place to start!<BR>

MaryAnn<BR>

<BR>

------------------------------------------<BR>

MaryAnn F. Kohl<BR>

Bright Ring Publishing, Inc.<BR>

PO Box 31338<BR>

Bellingham, WA  98228-3338<BR>

   360-734-1601<BR>

  360-676-1271 fax<BR>

       maryann@brightring.com<BR>

     http://www.brightring.com>

------------------------------------------- <BR>

<BR>

>From this website... some bath fun:::::<BR>

<FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>http://www.teachsoap.com/bombs.html>

</U></FONT><BR>

<BR>

<BR>

Bath Bombs (and other FUN bathtime projects for kids AND grownups!)<BR>

<BR>

Bath Bombs are like giant Alka-seltzers for your bath - they spin, whirl an=

d swirl in your bath while releasing scent and skin-softening agents. They m=

ake bath time SUPER fun! <BR>

<BR>

You will need:<BR>

1/3 part citric acid <BR>

2/3 parts baking soda <BR>

Witch Hazel <BR>

<BR>

BLEND BLEND BLEND BLEND the citric acid and baking soda =AD this step is supe=

r important =AD if you don=B9t blend well, you end up with a grainy bomb. We act=

ually use a mixer on our larger batches. Once you=B9ve blended really well, ad=

d your colorant. Dry pigments work best =AD don=B9t add too much though =AD the co=

lor shows up once you add the witch hazel. Add your fragrance oils to your p=

ersonal nose preference. Now, this is the difficult part. Spritz (with a squ=

irt bottle)  the witch hazel onto your batch while stirring with the ot=

her hand. When your batch sticks together when squished, you need to start p=

utting it in molds =AD time is of the essence. If you wait too long, the mixtu=

re will get hard. If you spritz too much, the mixture will be too wet and =B3g=

row=B2 (start the fizzing reaction) on you. Put the bombs in molds =AD wait a fe=

w minutes and tap  them out. Let them air dry for 3 or 4 hours and voil=

a! Wonderful, hard bath bombs. The harder you pack the bath bombs, the more =

dense, heavy, and durable bomb you will get. <BR>

<BR>

For an extra moisturizing Bath Fizzy, try this recipe:<BR>

1 cup citric acid <BR>

2 cups baking soda <BR>

1 tsp. fragrance oil <BR>

1 tsp. olive oil (or cocoa butter) <BR>

Follow the basic bath bomb directions above and drizzle the olive oil in wi=

th the fragrance oil. If you want to substitute some of the baking soda, you=

 can substitute up to 1 full cup with dehydrated milk (goat's milk or regula=

r milk). If you want a colored bath, add powdered food coloring or liquid fo=

od coloring. If you add 1/2 tsp. of liquid food coloring to the basic recipe=

, this should give you a colored bath. If you add 1/8 tsp. powdered food col=

oring to the basic recipe, you will get a wonderfully vibrant tub. If your t=

ub is dirty, or has excess oil in it, this recipe will  leave a ring ar=

ound your tub. Happy Soaping!<BR>

<BR>

<BR>

<BR>

---<BR>
</BODY>

</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3067251490_9828824_MIME_Part--

Subject: Mudworks book and Nutty Putty

From: MaryAnn Kohl <maryann@brightring.com>

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 14:31:15 -0800

Use this recipe instead of the one in my book, Mudworks. The recipe in

Mudworks uses liquid starch, and the new modern formula for liquid starch

for today's new and improved world put out by such companies as Proctor and

Gamble (as opposed to that formulated and sold ten years ago) does not work

anymore. This one does! You might want to print it out and tape it into your

Mudworks book on page 126.

===============

Nutty Putty

Subject: Here's how to make a Kaleidoscope

From: "JDecker" <JDecker@woh.rr.com>

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 17:37:48 -0500

Here is a plan that uses a Pringles Can:

http://www.kaleidoscopesusa.com/makeAscope.htm

http://www.town4kids.com/town4kids/kids/science/explore/kalei.htm

Judy D
http://www.latinmail.com.  Gratuito, latino y en espaņol.