Back and energized from conference

---------

From: Michelle H. Harrell (michelle_h_harrell_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 18 2001 - 09:52:34 PST

Howdy artsednetters!

I'm back from the conference- tired but excited to put all my new ideas in
practice. Nancy Walkup did a fantastic job- thank you! I must admit I was
a little disappointed at the grouping of the time slots (example 8
technology sessions may have been during the same hour when there were no
other technology sessions during the rest of the day). Other than that
(which I heard was a computer error), I really can't complain. There was
great food (and drinks) at the Binney and Smith gala plus tons of museums
offered free admission with your conference badge. As always, I was
impressed by the array of vendors and all of their goodies. Thanks Judy for
making the name tags for us! I also wanted to thank whoever organized all
of us getting together Wednesday night in the lounge. I'm so glad I have
this listserv which helped me find a fantastic group of gals to room with-
thanks Marcia!

As far as great sessions, my big kudos goes to Carolyn Roberts and Bunki
Kramer for their oodles of ideas. I counted (seats, rows, plus those
standing around the room) over 250 people that showed up. I guess so many
people heard what a great job y'all did last year. For those of you who
didn't go to the conference, you can get their ideas plus examples on CD-ROM
for about $20 (I think). Just write Carolyn at croberts@coastalnet.com or
Bunki at bkramer@srvusd.k12.ca.us for more info.

Ken Vieth also had a great session right before that one for secondary
teachers for fantastic projects using materials all of us has access to.
His book- From the Ordinary to Extra-ordinary- is fabulous. (Thanks Carolyn
for recommending it a couple of years ago). He says he is planning to do
another book soon.

The teacher from Columbine High School had a really moving session about how
art has been part of the healing process for both the teachers and students.
Phillip Dunn presented a prototype for an electronic portfolio that looked
interesting but a little limited. I got so much information on NBPTS,
portfolio info, and technology from the other sessions they all seemed to
run together. I guess it's information overload on the senses with so many
great workshops plus seeing so much art in so little time. If you haven't
gone to a conference, you are really missing out. I think I'm going to pass
on Miami in 2002 (because it's so hard to find funds every year) but I will
try my best to go the following year. Did I hear that was in Denver (2003)?

Michelle H. Harrell
michelle_h_harrell@hotmail.com
Southeast Raleigh High School
Center for Accelerated Studies