Re: student work on internet

---------

From: Michelle H. Harrell (michelle_h_harrell_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 18 2001 - 09:19:00 PST

Merrilee, because there is new litigation constantly on this "foggy" area,
it all depends on how safe you want to play it. Right now, you can do
whatever the student's legal guardian agrees to in an acceptable user
policy. Your school or county probably has one or you can make your own.
The more specific it is, the more your tush is covered. Our policy has
separate signatures required for students using the Internet, having their
photo displayed, having their work displayed, and having their name (first
only) displayed. It's important that you do all of this and have it on
record for every student whether it's the school site or yours. If there's
no policy against teachers creating their own site (several school forbid
it- I don't see why), then you can collect permission and do your own site.
That's what I did for my middle school site for the past two years. Go
outside the system if you must but just remember to obtain permission for
EVERYTHING you do.

Michelle H. Harrell
michelle_h_harrell@hotmail.com
Southeast Raleigh High School
Center for Accelerated Studies
Raleigh, North Carolina

Merrilee Gladkosky asked "Is it okay for an art teacher to maintain a
separate website to put artwork of their kids on that is not part of but
could be linked to the school site or am I asking for
trouble?"