Re: Music and Art *

---------

From: menichino (menichino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 17 2001 - 19:17:34 PST

MaryAnn --
Our music teacher (elem) has large, realistic, painted portraits of some of
the major classical composers -- about a half dozen in all. Our 5th graders
chose a composer, listened to his (amazing that there are so few women
composers....) music, and created an expressionistic portrait of the
composer, incorporating some characteristics of the music or info about the
composer's life. One girl drew Bach with very regularly spaced curls on his
white wig and even rhythmic marks in the background to go along with Bach's
sometimes repetitive rhythms. Beethoven was shown with wilder than normal
hair, complementary colors flashing out at us, brow more furrowed than
usual. So they were actually copying the original portraits, but making
them more expressive of the kind of music composed. Got lots of comments
about the display!
Liz in rural NY