Re: Grading for Elementary Art

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 17 2001 - 11:53:42 PST

>>The first grade is for participation and the second is for conduct.

I'm not sure what your school's goal was in this grading method. Personally,
I give "participation" grades to my middle/high school students daily. This
boils down to: participate in today's lesson in all aspects for the entire
period and you will earn all 10 points. Participation grades = 20% of their
total grade. Conduct ties in with participation. Then there is a seperate
grade for assignments: meeting specific criteria, understanding concepts and
methods, skill using tools/medium, etc.
    I think I would go crazy trying to grade strictly according to how a
student "conducted" him/herself. I realize this is probably an
interpretation of the vocabulary your district uses. I am expected to grade
according to my outcomes. My elementary grade is given according to effort,
grade level skill, and knowledge. Almost all of my students earn A's & B's
as I don't encounter real discipline problems until they reach 7th grade
(what DO their parents do to them over the summer? *L*). My elementary
lessons are taught by modeling - I show the students a finished example, I
walk them through each lesson step-by-step, and then I tell them exactly
where I will allow for individual ideas. I allow time occasionally for
creativity, and never worry about them "shutting down" in my class. I really
believe that elementary age kids are more interested in the process, and
that as they mature they worry more about the product - then they become
over-critical about their work.
~Michal

---