new schedule for me

---------

From: Jayna Ledbetter (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 17 2001 - 08:31:21 PST

I teach middle school art, and this year, (my first) I
have been teaching five classes a day, on an A/B
schedule. Two of the classes are labeled "advanced"-
which is a joke- so they meet me every other day for
an entire year, getting a whole semester of art. So
essentially, I teach 18 classes a year, each class
except for advanced seeing me for a total of nine
weeks.
Next year, rather than having five classes a day to
teach, I will have six a day, but they meet with me
everyday for the semester, and I will have no advanced
classes. Therefore, I teach 12 classes a year,
considerably less students. My question is, has anyone
ever heard of giving middle schoolers an entire
semester of art? I totally expected to teach them nine
weeks. I was floored in a meeting Wednesday when I
found out I would have everyone an entire semester.
Alot of kids who love art won't be able to take it due
to limited space! Any thoughts on this? (Not to
mention how my curriculum will double- but I'm cool
with it- I have all summer to plan- actually, I'm a
little excited about it, because I can plan smooth
transitions from unit to unit, and I have all of your
help!)
Jayna