Re: Middle School Block Scheduling/Delivery?

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 17 2001 - 08:29:14 PST

I currently teach middle school block scheduling, and after 7 years have
finally decided that administrators have NO idea on what best to do for
these students! I love my current schedule, which allows me to see every
middle school student each year. I have 1/3 of the 7th grade for 12 weeks,
then on to a new group. 8th grade is the same. Our 6th grade is currently
still a part of the elementary, so I see them 1 hour per week. I have had
every schedule imaginable, and this one works very well for me. It is a
compromise - I do dislike not being able to go more indepth with them - but
I now see EVERY student for 12 weeks. But on the other hand, by having them
for 12 weeks they have a good idea on what my class will be like when they
get to high school. I teach the 12 week classes as exploratory - while there
are some overlapping of media, I try to introduce some unique experiences at
each level. 8th grade for instance does tooling foil. I do not use this
medium at the high school, but I know all my students (except naturally for
those new students who move in and disrupt my perfectly laid out plans!)
have experienced mediums that they would not normally do.
~Michal

> Having read through all these meanderings, my question to
> you is this:
> How do you schedule the fine arts (or other
> non-traditionally-academic classes) into your middle school
> block schedules?

---