Definition of "Design"

---------

From: Ashley Click (Ashley-Click_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 17 2001 - 00:50:08 PST

I am having a heck of a hard time defining what "design" is as opposed to
being a "painting" or a "drawing." I, personally, can say what a
design-based artwork is, but am having a hard time articulating that to my
students. I need a sounding board -- here is my idea: "Design" is
strictly based on the "Elements," i.e. line, shape, form, texture, value,
color, and space. It is less about artistic expression than the
organization of these elements.

Please share any thoughts you may have!

Thanks,

Ashley Click

Ashley Click
High School/Middle School Art Teacher
American Community School - Abu Dhabi
P.O. Box 42114
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
tel: (from the States 011)971-2 - 681 - 5115
fax:(from the States 011) 971 - 2 - 681 - 6006

---