Re: Music and Art *

---------

From: barb cicchelli (bcriverspirit_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 16 2001 - 11:30:56 PST

 We combined music,art, and poetry-first we read a poem, divided into groups with rhythm instruments , each group composed their own music and then performed the poem with accompanying music for the group.Next time we heard a musician sing some of Shel Silversteins poems, divided into groups and each group constructed a large paper sculpture interpreting what they had heard. Initial supplies were 24x36 poster board for the base , and assorted other colors. Each group presented and discussed their sculpture for the class.

  MaryAnn Kohl <maryann@brightring.com> wrote:
Does anyone have any ideas for combining music and art? I'm trying to come
up with some. For example, of course kids can make musical instruments, and
invent them as well. And there's coloring, painting, or sculpting to music,
all kinds of music.

But ---
I'm thinking of ideas like: make some paint splots across a rectangular
sheet of paper, and then attempt to play these "notes" on a keyboard. Or,
hmmm, nailing metal items to a sheet of plywood in a collage, and then
adding drumsticks to beat on the metal.

Any ideas? I will post them back to the group in one big email, if you wish
to send them directly to me.

* (For the record, I have considered doing a book on these ideas, but I
don't know if there's really enough to go on. If I ever do a book, I would
ask permission to use your idea, credit you, and give you a free book upon
publication.)

MaryAnn F. Kohl
maryann@brightring.com
http://www.brightring.com